Pages

05 July 2014

Wardrobe Architect: Part 1

Have you heard of the Wardrobe Architect series at the Coletterie blog? It is a 14 week series they put together to help you craft your sense of style.

I went through the exercises a few weeks ago, but I wanted to record my answers here for my reference and I am interested to know if my answers change in the coming years. I recommend doing the exercises yourself, I have found the introspection to be amazingly helpful. My sewing time is productive and the things that I create get worn more because it fits my style.

Let's get started!


Sarai starts off by asking a series of questions and I really identified with the following ones:

- You acquire things you don’t use.
- You make clothes that don’t really fit your life well (another party dress?)
- You have an overwhelmingly long list of sewing projects you want to make and no idea of how to prioritize them.
- You feel like your wardrobe is all over the place.

When I started sewing last year, I went to the thrift store and selected table clothes, curtains, and shower curtains that were interesting to look at and were very colourful. If you know me at all, you will know that I don't really wear many bright colours or prints. I thought it would be good for me to step out of my comfort zone and wear colourful prints, but it turns out that they are not really my thing and I never really felt comfortable in colours, bows, or ruffles.

The first exercise is to begin discovering your style based on seven facets in your life.

HISTORY
How has your personal history informed the way you dress? When did your tastes crys-
talize? Have they changed over the years, and why?


PHILOSOPHY
How does your philosophy, spirituality, or religion affect your aesthetics and buying
habits? Or, what aspects of those things would you like to see reflected?


CULTURE
How has your cultural background shaped the way you look? How did the aesthetics
and values you grew up with affect your tastes as you got older?


I am not exactly sure how to answer the questions in the three areas above. I don't feel a close connection to the clothing worn by the women around me growing up - no sleeveless bodices, knee length or longer bottoms, and no low cut necklines. My clothing choices now reflect the complete opposite of that: my broad shoulders love sleeveless tops, skirts or shorts that stop around mid thigh look best on me, and my large bust likes to have breathing room. I don't really wear revealing clothing - I have never felt comfortable going out in strapless tops and short shorts or skimpy dresses, and maybe part of that is from my up bringing.


COMMUNITY
How are you influenced by the people around you, including friends, family, and other
communities you’re involved in?


I do think that I am influenced by the clothing I see online in sewing blogs and my perusals around Pinterest. I was never really into "fashion" until shortly before I started sewing when I desired a grown up wardrobe. I now wear more than just T-shirts and jeans, and I like to see how other people interpret comfy, non-slobby clothing.


ACTIVITIES
How do your day to day activities influence your choices?

I am in the process of moving back to a city where my modes of transportation will be my bike and my feet, therefore my clothes must be not restrictive, lightweight feeling, and comfortable. Vintage 50s dresses or things that are too baggy do not work for my lifestyle because they restrict the activities I do daily. My best pieces of clothing are the ones I don't think about after I put them on.


LOCATION
Does the place you live inform the way you dress? How does climate factor in?

After living for five years in a place with a real winter, I bulked up my winter wardrobe. My move back to the Pacific Northwest will now steer my clothing choices more into trying to stay as dry as possible mode. Quick drying pants, outfits surrounding waterproof shoes, and warm base layers will now rule my closet.


BODY
In what ways does body image affect your choices in clothing? What clothes make you
feel good about the body you live in? What clothes make you feel uncomfortable or
alienated from your body?


I have always been a small woman and I dislike wearing clothes that look like I am trying to cover up a belly (empire waist dress/shirts especially!) and prefer to wear close fitting clothes. I feel my best when I am wearing clothing that doesn't restrict my movement at all.

-------------------------------------

Overall, it looks like I enjoy close fitting clothing that allows me to move comfortably and keeps me dry from the PNW winters. No big surprises there.

No comments:

Post a Comment